Friday, June 18, 2010

This I believe Project Pictures


Give it a Chance
I believe in second chances. I can relate to this because I've had to give second chances, hoping people will change. Last year there was so much going on with my dad. He cheated, and was never there for my brothers, me, or my mom. My mom forgave him and took him back. Not only did she take him back for her or just because she forgave him but because she thought of us, and us needing a father in our life's. To me I really didn't care if I would have to live my life without a father.
Before all that happened my dad was physically there but not emotionally. He would get home from work, watch t.v, and not say one word to us. He thought if he payed the bills and kept a roof over our head, him job as a father was done. I don't think that's all a dad is supposed to do. A real father would take time out of his day to be with or communicate with his child if it's at least asking how your day went.
You know the saying daddy's girl? Yeah, that wasn't me. It would get to me, seeing all my elementary friends getting dropped off and picked up at school by their dad's. Having to go to school meetings and seeing everyone there with both their mom and dad and I would just be there with my mom, because my dad was to busy to know what was going on with me in school.
As I got older it hit me the most. I decided to talk to my dad and let him know how I felt. While talking to him, it seemed like he didn't care what I thought or had to say. I told him I didn't really see him as a father because he would never try to talk or be with us and every time he would talk to us it was to scream at us, and to get us in trouble, there was never a day when he would talk to us in a good way. "I don't care if you see me as a father or not" is what he replied.
It took me a really long time to forget what he had told me. We didn't speak to each other for a really long time. We started talking a little more. I decided to give him a second chance in taking the roll of a father. Things got a little better but not to long after the same thing happened. He wasn't there for us again, and didn't care about anything. I was tired of him not caring and decided to keep him out of my life even if he lived with us.
I would always talk to my mom about the situation. She always knew what to say. "He's your father, you cant just stay mad at him forever, I know what he does isn't right but just give it one more chance". I really put in thought to what she said. She was right if you love someone your willing to give them how many chances it takes in order for them to see you really want to see change in them. I guess the third chance was it. We didn't talk for two, almost three months but now I see him actually trying to talk to me, even if its about the smallest thing. I really appreciate him trying to talk to me now. Things are getting better. Slowly, but better.
In the end I realized even if someone does something that seems like you will never forgive them about, give it a chance, maybe even three but it will get better. Before all of this I personally thought people never change, But giving this third chance changed my whole perspective on it. People do change, just with time. Don't think things will chance by the blink of an eye, it takes time and if you really want a difference you would give a million chances if you have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment